Wondering how to pick the perfect bridesmaid dress? You’re not alone! Picking the perfect bridesmaid dress that makes all of your friends and family happy and falls in line with your personal style is hard. There are a couple things you’ll want to keep in mind when choosing your bridesmaid dresses and we are here to help.
How to pick the perfect bridesmaid dress
There are a couple of things you want to keep in mind when picking the perfect bridesmaid dress. Here are our top 5 things to think about when choosing what your besties should wear when they stand by your side.
- What color are your bridesmaids going to wear?
- Color is super important when picking out bridesmaid dresses and probably the first thing you’ll want to do before picking out the actual dress. You want to choose a color that stays within your color scheme but also looks good on different skin tones. You don’t want to choose a color that only looks good on pale or dark skin tones; you’ll want to find a good balance. Don’t be afraid to look at actual color and fabric swatches before you make a decision.
- What length do you want your bridesmaids to wear?
- Are your friends going to wear short or long bridesmaid dresses? Or maybe you want your gals to wear midi length dresses? Whatever length you want to choose, keep in mind the season and venue you’re getting married in – this will help you make your decision. Short bridesmaid dresses usually pair best with a more casual wedding, maybe at an outdoor ceremony. Long bridesmaid dresses adherently feel more formal, so you might want to choose a longer length if you’re getting married at a museum or country club.
- What fabric should your bridesmaid dresses be?
- Another important factor you’ll want to consider is the fabric your friends are going to wear. Satin or Mikado gowns will obviously feel more traditional and formal. Chiffon can appeal to a more casual or boho wedding – it’s really the most versatile of all bridesmaid dress fabrics. If you want a glam wedding, maybe going with a matte sequin is something you want to consider. Fabric can really dictate not only the silhouette you choose but also the style you want to represent, whether that is boho, casual, formal, or black tie.
- Are you going to have a mix-and-match bridal party?
- Mix-and-match bridal parties are a huge trend right now. Most brides give their friends a color palette to choose from and then let their friends choose the dress of choice. This allows your friends to feel comfortable in whatever they’re wearing. If you want to go the mix-and-match route, make sure you’re very clear about what colors you do and do not want. Same with fabrics, lengths, and silhouettes. If there is a certain style you don’t want your friends wearing, make it clear upfront before anyone goes dress shopping.
- What silhouette will look best on all your bridesmaids?
- Let’s face it, dress shopping is not a one-size-fits-all thing. Certain dresses are just not doable on certain body types. When picking out a silhouette, keep in mind how your friends will feel wearing the dress. Will everyone be comfortable wearing strapless? Do all my friends feel confident enough to wear a slim-fitting gown? You want to make sure both the neckline and skirt match not only your personal aesthetic but will flatter your friends’ body types.
Once you’ve nailed down these five things, you’ll be better prepared for your bridesmaid dress shopping experience. So grab your gals and head to a store near you! Cheers!