Choosing the right lipstick for your wedding day is probably the most important makeup decision you need to make! Without sounding dramatic, a lipstick can make or break your look. A lipstick colour is supremely personal, so much so I have heard girls say they didn’t book a makeup artist because she put the wrong colour on them at the trial. Colour and texture is preferential from client to client so I always asked the bride to bring her favourite lipstick to the trial so I could see the colour and texture that she preferred and then we could go from there. It’s not surprising that a bride chooses a colour that she wears almost every day as her wedding day pink.
The perfect pink wedding lipstick is like hunting for Sasquatch! So here are a few tips and tricks and a couple of friendly suggestions when you are trying to secure the perfect pink lip shade for your big day. Get ready to pucker up!
1. Test the lip colour on the tip of your pointer finger not on your wrist or the top of your hand. The tip of your finger is the closest colour to the colour of your lips.
2. Bring your favourite colour with you so you don’t buy something too similar. Most women gravitate towards the same colours when purchasing new makeup. Don’t buy the same-there is no point.
3. Texture and wearability are important. The right amount of shine without too much gloss is important. How long it wears before reapplying is crucial to most women. Mattes can look modern as long as they don’t look dry. Add some balm on top of your matte lip for the photos for added dimension.
4. When choosing a nude or pink lipstick you need to remember this rule- if it looks like its erased your own lips it is too light. Always choose 1/2 to 1 full shade deeper than your own natural lip colour. Blotting back a bright shade with a tissue can look stunning so give it a try.
5. When testing out a colour directly onto your lips, make sure you wipe off the existing colour then pat concealer around your lips to stop any redness from interfering with the next application of colour. Neutralising the edges will allow you to see the true colour of the lip shade.
My favourite top 5 affordable pink lip shades for your wedding day are:
1. Maybelline Colour Sensationals Inti-Matte Nudes in Honey Pink 550
2. Rimmel London The Only 1 Lipstick in You’re All Mine
3. Circa Beauty Color Absolute Velvet Luxe Lipstick in AVA
4. L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lip Colour in Wisteria Rose
5. NYX Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick in Exotic