I almost want to laugh as I start to write this blog. Laugh and maybe cry a little at all the hair disasters I’ve had right before an important event. I have ended up with a yellowy cotton candy hair color two days before I was to attend a wedding. You know when your boyfriend says “oh my”it’s a disaster! I don’t think I’m alone in this blog. In fact I know I’m not. We all have horror hair stories that we laugh about now…but earlier?!? Yeah not so much!
Right before your wedding is not a time to try new looks or even switch stylists. Things can go wrong in a heartbeat and this is not a day that you want to look back at in horror. You want to look the best possible glamorous version of yourself at your wedding so make sure you heed these wise words ladies when planning for your bridal hairstyle.
Let’s go through the top 5 Hair do’s and don’ts before your wedding.
1. Have a hair trial and schedule it a minimum 6 weeks or more earlier before your wedding. Discuss your hair, style and colour so you can make any necessary changes prior to your wedding day. Wear a button up/or/zip top the color of your dress, so that the stylist can work with the colour of your dress and not mess up your style when you have to remove your top.
2. Make sure you get your hair in its best condition. Use a weekly mask like Olaplex to get it in tip top condition. Best hair mask PERIOD!
3. Find the best hairstylist for the hair you want on your wedding day. Your usual hairdresser may or may not be the right stylist for you. Ask a friend who is already married for referrals.
4. Make sure you have a folder with all your wedding beauty ideas in it. Makeup, hair and dress included. It’s so important for your stylist to see the dress design and makeup style you want to wear on your day. Stay true to your style. You want to be the best version of yourself.
5. Bring an emergency hair kit to your wedding. Pins can fall out; a gust of wind can unsettle what was perfect to a disheveled mess. KIT=Pins-U-shaped and bobby pins, small can of hairspray, tail comb, small brush and elastics, dry shampoo(if its humid)
1. Get your hair cut or coloured right before your big day! Accidents can happen. You are best not to cut your hair for at least 4-5 weeks. Colour at least 2 weeks out. Discuss a timeline with your stylist.
2. Never wear your curls intact. ALWAYS brush them to a soft bouncy wave. Unless of course you have naturally curly hair.
3. Wearing barrel curls went out in the 80’s. Opt for a sweet, soft textured braid instead or pin the curls or waves up loosely.
4. Wash your hair the day of the wedding. The night before is perfect. Curls form better in day old hair.
5. Flat iron your hair before a trial or on your wedding day. Flat irons seal the cuticle and then you cannot form a curl in it until your wash it and blow it out.